10 slices bacon, chopped
(or 1 TBS coconut oil if making vegetarian)
5 medium stalks celery, diced
2 large onions, diced
2 green apples, cored and diced (but not peeled)
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage (no casings)
(or 1 pound mushrooms, chopped if making vegetarian)
8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat till the fat starts to release.
3. Add celery, onions and apples; cook for 5 minutes.
4. Now add the sausage and mushrooms and sauté till bacon and sausage are cooked through.
5. Drain off any excess fat.
6. Place remaining ingredients (vinegar through broth) in a large bowl; add contents of skillet and blend well.
7. Spread mixture in a 9- x 13-inch baking pan; bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned (not chocolate brown!).
Recipe can be made vegetarian by using 1 TBS coconut oil instead of bacon and 1 pound extra mushrooms instead of sausage.
Recipe from Leanne Ely, a New York Times bestselling author of the Saving Dinner series.